September 11, 2014

Three Decades of Roller Coaster Ride


The inevitable day has finally come! Today marks my 30th birthday. Reaching the "big thirty" and still single means that I'm nearing off the calendar.  Being an only child, I guess my parents are already freaking out! hahaha.. If anyone would ask me now if I'm starting to panic that I reached 30, my answer would be both yes and no for two different reasons. Contrary to what others may feel, I'm not pressured that I'm still single at 30. Yes, I've been hurt deeply by my past relationships but I'm not bitter. I have moved on. I've just learned not to rush love at all and just wait for God's gift to come along, in His own time. It is one of the uncontrollable aspects of life and I just want to let things happen, if it's meant to happen. On the other hand, I do feel anxious about the future that at my age, I have nothing.  I have nothing in terms of investment and financial security.  It should have been attainable if I have set my goal, if I had the will and the self-discipline.  I should have made this thing happen.


As we age, our priorities change, and so our goals. As we gain more experience through time, we become wiser than before. Learning is a never-ending process. I'm not saying I'm wise enough because I'm already 30 years old (it's so awkward to say I'm 30). I just want to share some of my realizations throughout the three decades of my journey. Some of them may be shallow to others but every person may have different perspectives in life. 


1.  It isn’t about what happens to you, but it’s how you react to what happens to you.
At a young age, I became a product of a broken family. I learned to accept the fact and began to set my mind that my family may never be whole again.  While others have gone astray or have chosen to live a crooked life, I focused on my studies and on other valuable things.  Being in this situation ain't easy, but I was so blessed to be loved and taken care of by the people around me, including my parents.

2.  Sometimes, giving up isn't a sign of weakness. 
I used to be in the limelight. But there came a time and a place where it's just so hard to compete when I knew from the start that it wasn't fair. I gave up. I chose mediocrity. After all, it isn't just about what you have become, but how you have become.

3.  Learning from experience is essential to growth.
Experience can shape our lives and can make us grow, if and only if we learned from them.

4.  Everything happens for a reason.
Once, I dreamed of becoming an accountant. Studying in a university that was identified by CHED as a center of development in accountancy, it was tough for me as a freshman.  I didn't make it during the qualifying examination and I have no choice but to shift to another degree. At first, I couldn't accept that I failed and that there would be no more second chance. But I am grateful for it because now, I am fulfilled with my second choice of profession as an engineer in a manufacturing firm.

5.  Life isn't a fairy tale.
Falling in love for the first time has made me believe in happy ever after. But just as we've reached our 4th year, I was betrayed and it ended. 

6.  What you don't know won't hurt you. But what you do know will set you free.
Just as when I thought I've found someone better, my second relationship also didn't end well, or shall I say it didn't have a proper closure. I haven't moved on for years, with one question on my mind left unanswered. One day, it came and the truth has set me free.

7.  Take risk and fall in love again, even if it may mean another dose of pain.
I have this friend. We had almost the same past experience. We share the same thoughts and interests in life. I fell in love with him over time, while he still lived in the shadow of the past.  This time, it's a different kind of pain - the pain of an unrequited love. At least I know I'm not yet calloused. I'm still human. 

8.  Be optimistic, no matter what life throws at you.
Whenever I feel down, someone close to me reminds me to always think positive.

9.  Pray for God's will and not your own.
I was blessed to become a member of a community where my faith was strengthened. I was able to grow spiritually.

10.  Religion cannot save anyone but faith does.
A friend of mine once asked me if I was sure that I'd go to heaven if I die right away. I didn't know how to answer then because I wasn't prepared to die. By citing some Bible verses, she said that no religion nor any good deeds can save us. The only key to salvation is by accepting and believing that Jesus Christ is our only savior. We do good works because Jesus Christ lives in us.  I'll be forever grateful to my friend for sharing it to me.

11.  Do not be attached to the worldly things, for these are temporary.
Our apartment was robbed out a few years ago. Most of our gadgets and jewelries were taken away. Before the incident, me and my housemates were so busy with our laptops and so addicted to the unlimited data connection that we barely talked with each other. After what have happened, everything went back to normal. We had more time to bond. We became more attentive to each other. We had no gadgets. But we're still alive and safe.

12.  Spend time with the people you love.
After my grandpa and my great grandma passed away, I regret that I didn't spend more of my time for them. I wish I had.. You can never bring back life, nor you can ever turn back time.

13.  When it comes to attitude, it doesn't matter which type of spoon and fork one is using.
Attitude is not determined by any financial status nor by any educational attainment. Some professionals may not act the way they are supposed to.

14.  Upbringing is a big factor of one's attitude/personality.
At some point, we just have to understand people simply because it's how they were raised. 

15.  Be sensitive to the feelings of others. Always think before you say anything.
Oftentimes, we are driven by our emotions that we only realize the effect of our words after they have been spoken.

16.  Make a difference in other people's lives.
Don't just be a part of other people's lives but be an influence and make a difference, just like some people did to mine which I am grateful.

17.  Plan your life.
Thinking ahead such as your retirement goals can motivate you to save more and invest more. I wish I have thought about this earlier.

18.  Your opinion of yourself will determine the level of your success.
If you think you are weak or you won't achieve anything, then it will happen.

19.  Be careful in dealing with failure and success.  
Both can either make you or break you.


Enjoy and appreciate LIFE... It is given by God and it is beautiful!







Photo Source:  www.danielle09justdoit.blogspot.com









No comments:

Post a Comment